We really like citrus, so I added just a tiny bit of orange zest to the frosting, and it turned out really well. I also nixed the coconut , because I didn't want there to be too many different flavors going on. Thanks, Jessica for the wonderful inspiration!!!
(Props to my sister for decorating the cake!)
Lemon Cake with Orange Marshmallow Icing
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (ours was salted)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- orange zest to taste (I zested a whole orange and just added a little bit at a time until the icing tasted the way I wanted it to.)
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch pan.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until combined, then add butter and vanilla. When these are all combined, stir in the zest, juice and milk. Add the dry ingredients slowly, stirring after each addition until everything is just combined.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Let cool completely, frost, and enjoy!
- Combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heat-proof bowl. Place on top of a pot that has simmering water, and whisk for about 4 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer immediately to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat, starting at a slow speed and gradually increasing, until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Add vanilla and zest, beat until combined!
I hope you all enjoy this cake as much as we have!!!
If you do try this recipe, please let me know what you think!