Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers!
I've been a little absent from the blogging recently....apparently finishing up your senior year of high school requires a bit more concentration than usual. But, when I saw this challenge, I knew that I had to do it!!!! If you're wondering, I made cheese straws!!! I lightly adapted a smitten kitchen recipe and we all really loved how it turned out!!!! I didn't get a chance to take pictures....they were mostly gone before I got to a camera!Then, of course I dropped the remaining cheese straws and broke them! Anyway, we really loved this recipe, and thanks for the great challenge Sarah!
(we got about 36 cheese straws!)
- 3/4 cup flour (plus some for dusting)
- 1 2/3 cup freshly grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons room temp butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 teaspoons red pepper (we like spicy! feel free to use 1/2 tsp or less!)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine flour, cheese, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse grains. Add the milk and then pulse until the dough comes together.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle about 1/8 in thick. Cut into strips (ours were about 1/8 in thick) and gently transfer to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges of the cheese straws begin to brown. Let cool and serve!
Again, these were delicious and we loved trying out a new cracker recipe!!!!
See you soon!