Thursday, November 10, 2011

Patience is a Virtue...

that I don't seem to possess a lot of. :P

This has been proven waaay too many times, especially since I have really started cooking. I'm that annoying person who hovers over a pot of water, waiting for it to boil so that I can make some pasta, or who pretty much always, when given a range of baking times, sets the timer at the shortest because if I'm making muffins or scones or something chocolate, I really just want it right NOW! hahaha My most recent example of this was when I randomly decided to make marshmallows a couple of days ago. I followed this recipe, which is really very simple to put together. I made a half batch. What I didn't realize was just how long it takes for marshmallows to set.....mine took about 4 hours and they were still sticky. Of course, that might have just been something that I did wrong, but anyway, it was pretty  much torture to wait around for them! But, I am glad that I did! :D
 (source)
These are actually much cuter than my marshmallows, but as I have yet to actually find batteries for my camera, this is what I'm going to show you! :D

On a more serious note, our friend Paul is leaving tomorrow. He's been here just over two years, and everyone will miss him a lot! During the time that he's been here, he has led a soccer project for boys living in the community. Last night, he threw a party for everyone, because it was his last time up there. Everyone had fun playing games and such, but we were all sad as well. It is sort of weird when someone that you have seen practically every day for the past two years is leaving.....please pray for him, that he has a safe trip tomorrow!

Before I go, I do have a question for all of you! :D We have a couple of jars of pb that are about to hit their expiration dates, and I've been searching for things to do with it. I really like making freezer cookies with about 2 T pb, 2/3 cup oats, some cocoa and a splash of milk, but I'd also like some other ideas for healthy snacks made w/ pb! Of course, a lot of it is being consumed straight out of the jar (possibly due to that patience thing that I was talking about), but it is nice to have some variety! :D

Oh! One more thing! Can I bake with protein powder? I have some that really tastes awful in a shake b/c it is super grainy, but I was wondering if I could use it to make some muffins or something before it goes bad as well. It is strawberry flavored, by the way. :D

Are you a patient person? 


Do you like to travel by airplane? 
I appreciate that airplanes help speed up a trip, but I really am not a fan of heights or cramped places.....so the planes themselves aren't my favorite things to be in!

4 comments:

  1. I bake with protein powder pretty much all the time. You just have to make sure you make the batter super moist because it will get dry when you bake it, especially if you use a lot. I usually add only a scoop or two and that seems to work well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 0 patience too. Glad the marshmallows turned out! I've never tried making them. You can definitely bake with protein powder- heres an example: http://www.itzyskitchen.com/2011/09/pumpkin-protein-bars-birthday-fun.html
    PB: http://www.itzyskitchen.com/2011/10/shrimp-peanut-butter-soup.html, http://www.itzyskitchen.com/2011/09/cookies-flour-free-energy-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav thing to do with pb is to mix it in a 1:1 ratio with sunwarrior protein powder (plus a little stevia), then roll into balls and freeze! They don't get really hard, so you can just pop one in your mouth every time you need a snack! I've never baked with protein powder...so I don't know if it works...
    I just saw yesterday....a blogger (can't remember who) topped her roasted squash with peanut (or was it almond?) butter! That looked interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't even wait 5 minutes for things to cool, ya i am that bad!
    LC

    ReplyDelete