I probably will also include fitness-related posts here....that is one of my passions. I am planning on going into college next year as a pre-Physical Therapy major, so fitness and health will obviously be a large part of my academic career as well as my professional life. I want this blog to reflect not who I was two years ago when it began, but who I am today. Yes, I have dealt with an eating disorder and definitely still struggle with negative feelings. But I am also a whole lot happier now, more content with myself, and really able to explore areas that I love, and I want to be able to talk about that.
Now, about the cookies. I don't know if anyone else has already made some like these....I'm probably not the first. But, this recipe I created by myself and am really proud of it. So, without further ado, here's my first completely original (to my knowledge) recipe:
Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches (makes 18-20 sandwiches)
Ingredients:
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon (or more if you are like me and really, really love cinnamon!)
For the filling:
- 1 egg white (I just used the leftover white from the cookies)
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons water
- pinch cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional....but really, really yummy!)
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg yolk, beat until incorporated.
- Gradually stir in flour until a dough forms. Add vanilla, carrot, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, mix until fully combined.
- Drop onto a baking sheet by rounded teaspoonfuls, giving the cookies 1-2 in space. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies have browned a little bit and the middles are set. These cookies are on the soft side, so they may not look completely done, but if the edges have browned, they will set up after cooling.
- While cookies are cooling, make filling. Combine the egg white, sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a small bowl and set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk for 3-5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer, add in vanilla and cinnamon, beat on high until stiff peaks form, another 3-5 minutes.
- Spread filling onto half of the cookies, top with the other half. There will be filling left over, but it keeps for a few days in the fridge. Enjoy!!!!
A funny story about these cookies...when I was asking my family for ideas for what to call the cookies, my dad said: "eye candy". When I asked him how he came up with the name he said that carrots are good for your eyesight, the cookies were sweet, plus they were pretty! Anyway, they were a hit over here, so if anyone tests these out, please let me know what you think!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment