Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recipe Success!!

Morning!!! :D Hope everyone is doing well! Can ya'll believe that we're already halfway through this week? I haven't done a whole lot besides school, but I still definitely feel like the week is flying by!!! What have you all been up to this week?


Right now, I'm thinking that maybe I'll go with a friend to a group bible study tonight. I haven't confirmed with him yet, but I'm really hoping that I'll be able to go. A couple of years ago I was going to a group like that pretty regularly, but since we went to the US on furlough last year, I haven't gotten back in that habit.

Other than that, things have been pretty quiet around here. I had my jump class on Monday, which was fun, yesterday I did a workout at home, and today I've got spin, which I'm super excited about! Besides running, spinning is probably my all-time favorite cardio workout!!


So anyway, sorry about the absolute lack of pictures on my blog....I really, really need to find some batteries for my camera! hahaha

Last night, I made dinner for everyone!! We had some simple pork chops, rice, and mashed potatoes! I found the mashed potato recipe online, and really loved it, so since I can't seem to find it in my history, I'm going to share it here!

Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lb peeled chopped potatoes
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1-2 tsp oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup milk 
  • 2 T butter
Directions:
  1. Place potatoes in a medium pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. 
  2. In a skillet, heat up your oil, add the onions and cook 15 minutes or until caramelized. 
  3. Drain the potatoes, add milk, butter, salt and pepper to pot.
  4. Mash the potatoes until desired consistency, adding more milk if needed. 
  5. After the potatoes are mashed, stir in the caramelized onion. 
Seriously, the onion tasted SO good in these mashed potatoes!!!! The thing that I love most about this recipe is that it is fairly easy to put together, but tastes like it took a lot more effort that it did! The hardest part for me was waiting on my onions to finish caramelizing....I'm not that patient. But, I am definitely glad that I waited because, like I said, they were yummy!!!!!! You could also probably add some garlic to these and it would be delicious! 

Well, I had better get going.....

What's your favorite way to eat mashed potatoes? (random question, I know)
Even though I loved the potatoes that I made last night, my favorite are my mom's because she whips them in the mixer. Then, I just put some salt, pepper and a dab of butter on top!




5 comments:

  1. Those potatoes sound ridiculous good!! I like garlic mixed into mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic and onions-now there is some flavor to those mashed potatoes-yum!. Boo on the plain jane I know that prefers pure potatoes mashed-no milk, no butter and no salt and pepper. Boring. Great recipe. Also I love the rocking chair quote in your previous post! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like eating twice baked potatoes on thanksgiving. So good! I love the idea of adding carmelized onions.

    ReplyDelete